Friday, March 15, 2013

Flower Power Friday featuring Bee Balm

 
Holy Toledo and thank God it's FRIDAY!!!!
What a crazy week it has been!  One issue after another......I need a break.  Where oh where can I go!  I think I'll just get in the car with my camera my dog Riley and go for a ride.  It'll give the cats a break from Riley and me from my computer!  Break out the catnip kitties!
Anyhow this week we are featuring this quirky looking flower known as Bee Balm Monarda didyma.
 
(click on the image to view large or purchase)
 
This variety of Bee Balm grow very well for me.  The Bee Balm is a perennial and considered to be an herb.  Will grow from 2- 6 ft tall.  Mine have gotten to about 3-4 ft tall.  Grows in full sun to part shade also likes moist to wet soil.  Blooms May through October.  Though the red is the most popular color, I have also seen them in white, purple and pink.  The Bee Balm can be intrusive.  I suggest you plant it where you don't mind if it takes over. This plant is prone to powdery mildew.  I have experienced this many times and didn't really worry too much.  Didn't seem to affect my other plants.
The Bee Balm attracts hummingbirds, butterflies, bees and other insects.  Deer may resist it, but may not.  I have plenty of deer and as of yet I haven't had any problems.

Some Fun Facts:
~The Monarda was named in honor of a 16th century Spanish physician and botanist, Nicolas Bautista Monardes (1493-1588).
~Monarda is related to the Mint family
~The Monarda has a minty smell.  I have to say I have never smelt the flower, but you better believe I will be taking a sniff when they bloom this year.
~Here are some medicinal uses~which includes expelling worms, and for treating gas, fever and stomach ailments. (Lamb/Rhynard)The name Oswego Tea comes from the fact that the leaves were used for a tea by the Oswego Indians of New York. Early settlers also used the plant for this purpose when regular tea was scarce. (Niering) The name Bee balm comes from the folk use of crushed leaves to soothe bee stings.
Some pretty interesting stuff about this quirky looking flower. 

My goal this year is to create some sort of a blind so I can wait for the hummingbirds to come feed on the flowers.  There has been many times that I would be working in the garden and the hummingbirds would be humming about and stop directly in front of me as if to say "where's your camera now!"  It's actually quit comical.  I need someone to photograph me looking at these hummers dumbfounded.  They get me every time!!!


(click on the image to view large or purchase)

 
Quote of the week......
 
Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. 
                                                                                      ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have a super duper weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! My family and I just planted several plants that are attractants to bees and butterflies!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely! I love plants that attract hummingbirds :) In the spring and summer where I work I will catch a glimpse of a few from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning flower! Great photos of it, too. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos, and I love that you included all the info on the flower. I always find it interesting to know how the flowers got their names. =0)
    Happy Friday,
    Kim
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com
    PS - Meet & Greet is open all weekend, if you'd like to join us and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bee Balm is lovely and kind of alien-looking in a way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in for a visit! I would love to hear from you! Have a great day!