Friday, June 28, 2013

Flower Power Friday

 
Dogwoods & A Redbud
 
So sorry for missing last Friday... I forgot I had a show in Saco, Maine and spent most of the week preparing for it.  I will not let this happen again!
 
White Dogwood Tree

Cornus florida, Princess White Dogwood
Height:  15' to 30'
Bloom time: April
White blossoms
Full sun to part shade
Fall color will be a red/rust color
With the red berries it attracts birds, but resists deer to some degree

This tree is about 4 feet tall right now and will take some time to reach it's full height.  I will be mulching to help keep the roots cool in the hot summer and to help retain moisture.  I found out that they are tolerant of clay soil, which I have a lot of.  They are also fast growers.
 
The flowers are the clusters in the center and the white petals are known as brackets.  I found this to be very interesting.  The same goes for any flowering dogwood.
 
Generally the Dogwood trees have very few problems to contend with, and maintenance very minimal.



Pink Dogwood Tree

Cornus florida Pink Dogwood
Height:  15' to 30'
Bloom time: April and May
Pink Blossoms

From the full sun to part shade all the way to the minimal maintenance the Pink dogwood is treated the same way as the White dogwood tree.  The Pink Dogwood is also 4 feet tall right now and I will say has fewer leaves, ( you have to look closely to see the leaves) but is slowly catching up.
 
More interesting tidbits about the Dogwood.  It is an soil improver, because of it's leave litter.  The leaves decompose much faster than other leaves.
 
Dogwoods do best in some shade in the south and full sun in the north.  Shaded dogwood trees are less dense, grow more quickly and are taller, and have a poor flowering and fall season.  Although I have seen a beautiful white dogwood in town and it's in the shade!  It is tall and loaded with flowers!!!  So I'll see how it looks in the fall.  Dogwoods that are in more sun are shorter, bushier and produce more flowers. 
 

Eastern Redbud

Eastern Redbud


Eastern Redbud
Cercis canadensis, Eastern Redbud
Height:  20' to 30'
Bloom time:  April
Pink pea size blossoms
Full sun to part shade
Fall color is yellow
Butterflies are attracted to the pinks flowers

This little beauty is about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall right now.  The two photos are to the left the front and below side view.  Love the beautiful heart shaped leaves.  What's really neat about this tree is in the spring the flowers bloom on the bare branches of this tree and even better is that after it's finished blooming the dogwood are getting ready to bloom.  I didn't even plant this one.  I have placed this Redbud behind the Dogwood.  If you take a look at one of the photos I took early on, if you look to the left of the photo on the grass area, that is where I planted the 2 Dogwood and the Redbud is behind them going toward the back field.

The Eastern Redbud is also tolerant of clay soil as well as being deer resistant.  Very low maintenance too.  I did find out that it's best to transplant younger trees as they adapt to the stress better than larger trees.
 
The Redbud does come with a few pest such as leafhoppers, caterpillars and scales, but with regular watering and fertilizing the tree will do just fine.
 
The Eastern Redbud has a medium growth rate of about 12-24" a year.
 
I'm so excited about these trees and can't wait until they starting blooming.  It may be a year or two before they start blooming, but it will be well worth the wait.

FYI....the Dogwood trees were planted about 2 week ago and the Redbud just the other day.
 
This week I also planted 3 Delphiniums, a Ruby Coreopsis, Irish Spring Black-eyed Susan, another Butterfly Bush, and 4 new Poppies.  In the next few weeks I will be telling you alittle bit about each plant including my roses that are blooming wonderfully. 
 

Quote of the Week..........
 
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are written by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
~Joyce Kilmer, "Trees," 1914

Until next week...........

Happy Gardening!!!
I will see you next Friday!

Have a Safe and Happy 4th of July!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in for a visit! I would love to hear from you! Have a great day!