Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Ships Ahoy!







Last weekend's WLBZ2 Art Festival was a slow day.  I think the heat had alot to do with it.  I did however make expenses.  This weekend I will be heading to Mystic, Connecticut for the Mystic Outdoor Arts Festival.  I'm very excited about heading back to my old stomping grounds.  I used to work at the Mystic Seaport and it is always great fun to go back and visit. 

Often times there would be wooden ships visiting the Seaport and I would pull out the camera (if I had it with me) and photograph them coming into the harbor.  The ship above is the HMS Grampus.  When I photographed this ship I was using black and white film which would explain the graininess of the photo.  It took me a while to figure out which ship this was.  So now that I know I did a little research on her and discovered that she was originally the HMS Tremendous.....now your history for the day......The HMS Tremendous was a 74 gun ship in the Royal Navy, built by Wm. Barnard at Deptford, London in January 1782, launched in October 1784.  She fought in several battles between 1794-1809.  She was reduced to a 50 gun ship and renamed the HMS Grampus in 1845.  She was sold in 1897.  Just an FYI these photos are not the original ship.  That is my tidbit for the week.

So anyway I'm hoping the rain is minimal Thursday through Sunday.  Thursday and Friday I expect to be heading to Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory and then to the Roger Williams Park to photograph the carousel and then to Essex, CT to photograph the steam trains.  Weather permitting I'd like to hit the Roger Williams Zoo.  Then Saturday and Sunday are the Festival days.  I generally don't photograph in the rain so I think I will have to challenge my photographic skills and see what I can photograph in the rain.  I will persevere over the rain!

Have a Wonderful Weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Nice treatments to these classic ships Cindi - I like!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in for a visit! I would love to hear from you! Have a great day!