Friday, April 12, 2013

Flower Power Friday.....featuring the Daisy

This week's flower is the Daisy.......

As young girls we would find that Daisy and pluck the petals one by one whispering he loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not.  We would be hoping by the time we got to the last petal he would love me.

Shasta Daisy
Daisies are a wonderful flower to have in your garden.  I  actually have Shasta Daisies growing in my garden and in the field there are wild Daisies.  If you look at the two photos below the one on the left is a Shasta Daisy and the one on the right is a wild Daisy.  You can see the difference in the size of the white petals.

Shasta Daisy
Daisy
                       Daisies are pretty easy to grow.  The Daisy is a perennial which means they come back year after year.  They grow in clumps of 1-2 feet across and as tall as 2-3 feet.  They require or prefer full sun, blooming during the summer into fall.  The make great cut flowers!  Daisies are numberous varieties and colors.  The Daisy below is a Double Bloom Shasta Daisy.  In the summer when all my Daisies are blooming it is spectacular sight!                                  

Double Bloom Shasta Daisy

Fun Facts.......
~Daisy is April birth flower
~Daisies represents purity and innocence
~A daisy is actually two flowers in one: the (usually) white petals and the cluster of (usually) tiny yellow disc petals that form the "eye"


Quote of the week......
There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.
                                                                                                                                     ~Ansel Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in for a visit! I would love to hear from you! Have a great day!